Theater Department of Ankara University Languages, History and Geography Faculty was founded by establishing a Theater Institute in 1958. Muhsin Ertuğrul raised awareness on public opinion via his articles about the need for theater education in universities. A theater institute, which approaches theater as a science with researches and education on the subject, was established with initiatives of Prof. Dr. Irfan Şahinbaş. Prof. Dr. Bedrettin Tuncel was assigned as the president of the institute and Prof. Dr. Irfan Şahinbaş as vice president. Sevda Şener was employed as the first assistant of the institute and followed by Özdemir Nutku. The institute was closed on the grounds that lessons cannot be taught as part of an institute. When Professorship of Theatre began education in 1964, four year education was offered and graduates were given university diplomas. Prof. Dr. Melehat Özgü was assigned as the head of the professorship. Professorship of Theater was named as Department of Theater with the new regulation in 1981. A new implementation was initiated beginning from 1987-1988 academic year in Department of Theater, which was ready for a spurt in line with progress and requirements in stage practices. Theater Department was divided into Theater History and Theory and Theatre Art sub-departments whilst Art of Theatre Department was divided into Dramatic Writing and Acting Art sub-departments. Students are admitted to the department with pre-registration beginning from 1988-1989 academic year. Undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programmes are available for students.