Since 1936, Department of German Language and Literature (German Philology/Germanistic) has been operating as part of Faculty of Languages, History and Geography, which was established with a special law in 1935.
The first head of the department was German lexicologist Prof. Dr. Karl Steuerwald. Prof. Dr. Melahat Özgü became the head of department between 1944 and 1950 after Steuerwald left Turkey due to interruption in Turkish-German politic relations during World War II. The department was directed by Prof. Dr. Rudolf Fahrner between 1950 and 1958. Prof Yaşar Önen was the head of the department between 1958 and 1983. Prof. Dr. Vural Ülkü (1983-1987), Prof. Dr. Nevin Selen and Prof. Dr. Gürsel Aytaç (1987-2007) became head of the department respectively. Department of German Language and Literature has been managed by Prof. Dr. S. Battal Arvasi since February 16th, 2007.
Department of German Language and Literature has provided significant support to science and society of Turkey with its annual undergraduate and postgraduate programmes since it was opened in 1936. The objective of the department is training “teachers” in line with needs of Turkey and studying science and culture of West in cooperation with other disciplines of Faculty of Languages, History and Geography.
A significant number of academicians who have worked in equivalent departments of other universities in Turkey were graduated from our department.