DEPARTMENT OF HUNGAROLOGY
Department of Hungarology, formerly “Hungarology Institute” is amongst 13 principle departments in Faculty of Languages, History and Geography, which was opened in January 9th, 1936. The first head and academician of the Institute, Prof. Dr. László Rásonyi, who was invited to Turkey by Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, pioneered institutionalization of Hungarology in Turkey and trained several students. In his successor, Tibor Halasi Kun’s period, Department of Hungarology of Languages, History and Geography Faculty experienced one of its most important and successful periods.
Hungarology Institute became a sub-department and a department after 1980.
Primary foundation objective of Department of Hungarology in Faculty of Languages, History and Geography is evaluating scientific studies on common history of Turkey-Hungary, which are carried out in Hungary, promoting resources and executing field studies as well as carrying out academic education.
Master and doctor’s degrees are offered besides undergraduate education. Turkish-Hungarian relations are studied in several aspects besides translation practices in addition to teaching Hungarian, Hungarian Literature and Culture.